How to "git gud" in Destiny PvP

Main forum for all things related to Destiny games.

Moderator: Game Moderators

How to "git gud" in Destiny PvP

Postby NealyPlum » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:36 am

Hey y'all.
Not everyone can learn from watching other people play. I never even watched streamers until year 3 of destiny one, didn't see the point and still don't in most cases. I was largely a solo player, and crucible was tough for me to get my head around. I hadn't played a multiplayer shooter since Goldeneye 64. Literally...
So I put in time and effort and eventually I was competent. I went flawless in year 1 three times. Year two I made it 7 times, and year three I got it ten times in the first ten weeks then quit. I may not be a "great player", but I am good enough to run with any team and feel like I contribute. So, the whole point of this post is some written tips on how I went from losing my first trials match when the other team only had 2 people,

[ img ]

to going literally every week at least once. And how I made those improvements without a streamer, without youtube, without hardly any Destiny friends (has changed a lot since joining MAAN lol).

1. Winning matches does not make you better.
Winning handicaps your judgment on the decisions u make in game. If u want to get better, start off by ignoring any match you win.

2. Record any game you go negative on
Honestly, its the nerdiest thing I have ever done and I caught a ton of shit from the wife. But after I lost games by a large margin, I would capture that match and watch it the next day before I played. I would watch each and every time I lost a duel, got out played, or just plain effed up. Then I started seeing patterns. Really stupid obvious patterns, it was like I got hit by lightning. "Oh shit... I didn't even realize I was..." Trust me, you'll learn a lot

3. Have a goal
What is your goal? For me it was go flawless once. Finally made it (rip thorn and felwinter) and set a new goal to get the trials handcannon (failed...). Year two I set another goal, go flawless on all three character, then do it twice... Year three it was go flawless once a week and get a full set of the weapons and armor. Then I got super burned out and quit lol, but I hit the goal. So what is your goal?

4. Be humble...ish. Be mostly humble
Be humble enough to see your own mistakes, and if asked evaluate your friends. But be confident enough to push when u gotta, flank when u should, and get the clutch play. Ego comes with a winning record, but there is always someone better. Be open to criticism, its ok to have some flaws in your play. But don't blame, don't accuse, don't be salty at your own team. Better to take a break, and try again later.

5. Get new friends.
That does not mean stop playing with anybody! But if you and some guy from another team are trading kills back and forth, constantly killing each other... Send them a GG and a friend request. They are playing at a level similar to yours for at least that game, which means your play styles are similar and u can learn from each other.
That's how I met Asurem, who helped my first flawless.
That's how I met A_Chilli
And prob the best example is that's how I met Taze and Crowned Alpha. I have like 5 pages of MAAN friends. I have 2 pages of enemies turned allies.

6. Make montages
Seriously, this helps. As u go through countless hours of winning plays, you start to see not just the good but also the bad. I have several recordings that are labeled "great play, bad game", because yeah I maybe clutched a round, but I also handed the other team two rounds. And, when u put it all together, its a major confidence booster to see all that good play in a couple minutes.

7. Have a core team.
Have the 4 of you commit to rolling together as much as possible. PvE, PvP, everything. My main group has a lot of trust in each other, and we know who is better at what than the others. But I would guess we have played over 500 hours together as a team. Make that commitment.

I've made these posts before I think, but with the new Destiny if you want to be better, if u want to be a carrier, if u want to bag a streamer (highly advise, it tilts them so bad) then practice and "git gud", or at least better.. If u want to. Let me know if these tips speak to you, or if you want me or the guys to watch a video of a game and offer input. PvP is the only thing in this game I care about, content wise at least. I think its pretty obvious at this point I use trials as more than just "casual gameplay", its like my main hobby lol. I'd like to thank everyone who we have helped go flawless, and everyone who has signed up to be helped. It has given me a new goal... And that's important :)
Last edited by NealyPlum on Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NealyPlum
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Re: How to "git gud" in Destiny PvP

Postby KryptosPhantom » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:02 pm

My goal is to not suck as bad.
Thanks man, good information.
MAAN Float: 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 - 2016

[ img ]
KryptosPhantom
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Postby Nidorous » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:54 pm

My goal is to understand people like sniperelite-(?) and his crew. I ran i to them last weekend...they averaged 2.4 to 4.2 kd...not ka/d or efficiency. I got schooled so hard. They popped in, rolled around each other constantly. Seriously had no idea what was happening...never seen anything like it in all my years of trials.
Nidorous
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Postby NealyPlum » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:26 pm

Nidorous wrote:My goal is to understand people like sniperelite-(?) and his crew. I ran i to them last weekend...they averaged 2.4 to 4.2 kd...not ka/d or efficiency. I got schooled so hard. They popped in, rolled around each other constantly. Seriously had no idea what was happening...never seen anything like it in all my years of trials.

I ran into Tardy in D1 two weekends in a row, it was a similar experience. Some of his advantages (after watching him stream a little)
1. He had a scuf
2. Professional set up (I play on a 44" 30 Hz tv...)
3. He had way more hours than me invested

He adjusted to our play style and countered well.
Also gotta look at the team u ate on as a whole. If your allies are dying too much, that leaves less lives for you, and more 4v3 fights cause on person is constantly respawning.
NealyPlum
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Postby KryptosPhantom » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:02 pm

"Scuf"?

[ img ]
KryptosPhantom
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Postby NealyPlum » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:06 pm

KryptosPhantom wrote:"Scuf"?

A controller with 2-4 back paddles. Eliminating the need for removing your thumbs from the sticks. Much better than bumper jumper, and I think well worth the $200 price tag.

My scuf
[ img ]
NealyPlum
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Postby KryptosPhantom » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:45 pm

OOhhhh that's pretty sexy!

[ img ]
KryptosPhantom
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Postby A_Keyes » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:59 pm

CEO / Founder of Scuf is named "Duncan Ironmonger". IRONMONGER?!
Is there a MAAN that has one of these? The price tag is absurd to me unless you are or plan on going pro.
A_Keyes
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Postby Jeff257 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:44 pm

NealyPlum wrote:
KryptosPhantom wrote:"Scuf"?

A controller with 2-4 back paddles. Eliminating the need for removing your thumbs from the sticks. Much better than bumper jumper, and I think well worth the $200 price tag.

My scuf
[ img ]

I now use bumper jumper but I could see how it would help. Could move X which is now the super to a paddle would help when aiming supers at enemies. Still not something in my wheelhouse for affordability though.
Jeff257
MilitaryMAAN
MilitaryMAAN

Postby lgk287 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:10 pm

I'm on the other side of the fence on the scuff controller. I've had mine for a few years now and honestly I don't find it to be worth the hefty price tag. It's cool and it feels good in the hand but unless you're really, really serious about PvP I'd wouldn't spend the money on it.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
lgk287
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Postby NealyPlum » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:45 pm

A_Keyes wrote:CEO / Founder of Scuf is named "Duncan Ironmonger". IRONMONGER?!
Is there a MAAN that has one of these? The price tag is absurd to me unless you are or plan on going pro.

I have one, but gaming is my main hobby so I feel fully satisfied with the product. Most people spend more on beer and liquor/cable tv/fantasy football/ lottery or gambling in a year than what I paid for my scuf. I think spending money on the above is "absurd", but everyone has their wants and hobbies. We can't all be the same, that would suck :)
NealyPlum
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Postby Matt_K » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:28 am

I paid twice as much for my high DPI mouse and mechanical keyboard. As Nealy said, however, this is my main hobby. I do not feel bad for spending this kind of money on my hobby when I get the enjoyment I do when playing.[ img ]

I'm also a huge fighting game finatic, often going to local and regional money tournaments. Just dropped $200 on this a couple of days ago to replace a failed stick.

[ img ]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Matt_K
MAAN Manager
MAAN Manager

Postby Jeff257 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:25 am

NealyPlum wrote:

I have one, but gaming is my main hobby so I feel fully satisfied with the product. Most people spend more on beer and liquor/cable tv/fantasy football/ lottery or gambling in a year than what I paid for my scuf. I think spending money on the above is "absurd", but everyone has their wants and hobbies. We can't all be the same, that would suck :)

I may end up hinting to the wife that I would like one for Christmas. LOL Of course I could go the upgrade route and send one in but it would come out to be about the same price as buying one outright. Do you have the 4 paddle or 2? Also how do you have them configured?
Jeff257
MilitaryMAAN
MilitaryMAAN

Postby NealyPlum » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:27 am

Jeff257 wrote:
NealyPlum wrote:

I may end up hinting to the wife that I would like one for Christmas. LOL Of course I could go the upgrade route and send one in but it would come out to be about the same price as buying one outright. Do you have the 4 paddle or 2? Also how do you have them configured?

I have the two paddle, the four just came out and I don't see a real high value in two more back paddles but we'll see who starts using them... But I don't have anything special, mine they are X and O, and mine cannot be remapped. Inside the PlayStation settings you can remap anything u want, and I've never found a need for that much less a mag key for my controller.
I have a domed long stick for aiming, and domed short for movement. The L2 R2 trigger extensions are amazing. Also I've fine tuned the hair triggers for destiny which is a huge advantage. Barely tapping the buttons and I'm already shooting. Great for getting first hits.
Another fun part was my Son got to design all the colors so we got to spend a couple days getting it "just right" for Dad :)
NealyPlum
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Return to Destiny Series