Musically Speaking...

This forum is intended for general discussion about the MAAN clan, rules, policies, clan games, and anything that is related to the clan and its members. This is a public visible forum accessible to non-registered users and search engines.

Musically Speaking...

Postby Gahzirra72 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:18 am

This topic has likely been around before, but I couldn't find any recent posts pertaining to it so I thought I would ask the citizens of MAAN...what is your taste in music? What's the best band you know of that most people probably have not heard of? What's your best concert stories? Pretty much anything to do with music.

Personally, I grew up with a dad who was into rock of the era but maybe not the normal stuff. I heard plenty of Ozzy Osbourne, and his favorite band was CCR but I also heard Black Oak Arkansas and Iron Butterfly from his collection. As I got older my tastes turned a bit more diverse as my collection on Spotify can attest.

I guess I kinda had my own awareness around the time Robert Plant released Now and Zen, and I also discovered Big Generator by Yes about the same time. As I began to work my way through the work of Zeppelin and so on the Grunge movement began, I got into quite a bit of that too but at the same time found the music of Bela Fleck and Tangerine Dream...Faith No More and Mr. Bungle...White Zombie and Howlin' Wolf. Some of my more recent discoveries have been the solo career of Colin Hay and the electronic stylings of Infected Mushroom and today's find Spock's Beard.

I never really cared much for country music but that doesn't keep me from listening to Dwight Yoakam or being impressed when I watched Clint Black's performance on Austin City Limits where he covered Steely Dan and Monty Python in ways that I never expected. So, what do you pummel your eardrums with?
Gahzirra72
MAAN Applicant
MAAN Applicant

Re: Musically Speaking...

Postby zwdiesel » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:11 am

We have a whole forum dedicated to all things music! It's behind the magical gate that you get to pass through when you reach full MAANhood.

To answer your question though, I still haven't left my angry music phase. Just saw I Prevail on Saturday, with We Came as Romans. Going to see In This Moment with Hollywood Undead and Butcher Babies next month. I went to both Rockfest and Northern Invasion this summer.
[ img ]
I bet you were a hot two year old!
zwdiesel
MAAN Manager
MAAN Manager

Postby neo1738 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:34 pm

I go through phases. Mostly today's hits and 90s/2000s alternative. I go through some trance/EDM phases. I will listen to a few country songs if they're good. Not too much of that I lost my wife, my dog, my pickup truck stuff though. Gets boring to me.
neo1738
MAAN Applicant
MAAN Applicant

Postby porter7o » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:40 am

I like all ranges of music and find there are great musicians in each genre. Angry music is entertaining, but I just wish I could understand what they were screaming about without having to look up the lyrics but the same goes for some rap or even grunge. These days I have been "keeping up with the kids" and getting into EDM like Marshmello(?sp?). We like to chill out for an hour sometimes and watch music videos on Youtube, everything MTV used to stand for. Punk, classical piano, indie rock, classic rock, metal, rap, country, not much I can't find a way to enjoy TBH :)
porter7o
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Postby NealyPlum » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:08 pm

90% of my music is Punk. Which gets awkward when you are managing a site, and listening to "Fuck Authority".
The Clash, Ramones, Transplants, Gogol Bordello, Dead Kennedys, The Offspring (up to Smash), Street Dogs, Dropkick Murphy, Flogging Molly, Flatliners, Rancid... To name a few of the greats
NealyPlum
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Postby Gahzirra72 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:13 am

@ ZWdiesel I kinda guessed there was more to the forums I'm sure it's all Willy Wonka and stuff.
@ Porter7o If you are looking for EDM suggestions I have them, specify and age appropriateness though. Knife Party ( it has to be a Hunters main favorite name BTW ) for example is less than kid friendly but very entertaining.
@NealyPlum I've got a friend who likes Punk, Dead Kennedys, Misfits, the Cramps etc. I didn't really dig into it so much myself but I have an appreciation for it. With that said, I like Social Distortion, Lit and Ministry even though they may not fit just right within that genre but have something close to that sound.
Gahzirra72
MAAN Applicant
MAAN Applicant

Postby doctor333 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:11 pm

RUSH
doctor333
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Postby BD-61 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:51 pm

doctor333 wrote:RUSH

[emoji1303][emoji1319][emoji1303][emoji1319][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes, it rains. Think about it."
[ img ]
BD-61
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Postby Glazz- » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:30 pm

NealyPlum wrote: Gogol Bordello

One of my favorites. Great concert experience and a lot of fun :D

To add to the discussion I'm into almost everything Arcade Fire to Zombies and everything in between. I just don't really do country save for old Johnny Cash/Willie Nelson type stuff
Glazz-
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Return to General Discussion