Bungies State of the Game

Main forum for all things related to Destiny games.

Moderator: Game Moderators

Postby NealyPlum » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:13 pm

NealyPlum
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Re: Bungies State of the Game

Postby Presti71 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:28 pm

Anyone still playing this game?! :)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Presti71
MilitaryMAAN
MilitaryMAAN

Postby Cabot500 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:16 pm

They are making it even easier to get gear with more options to buy, the return of 3 of coins, and guaranteed unique exotic from Xur. We will be at the state we are currently in even faster after this next DLC. The masterworks sounds good at first but if it's only for stats like reload, RPM, stability etc. and not perks it's still not addressing the grind for god roll weapons we had in D1. Endgame issues and incentives still aren't being discussed as there are no talks of strike specific loot, random perks, vault space for collectors, raid specific weapon/armor benefits, improved armor mod options for builds, and so forth.

The XP for bright engrams fiasco wasn't fixed (doubled the cost to earn them) and although they are increasing strike rewards (likely more tokens), they are also increasing costs for gunsmith and destination faction packages. Why? We don't want tokens we want cool gear to chase.

Why can't they add chests back in to strikes even if they cost 25 or 50 tokens to open and have some unique rewards to add to replay value? What about giving Iron Banner, Trials and Raid perks to gear? Those are things Bungie already knows how to do but have omitted here.

Despite my thoughts above, I'm glad to see something finally communicated to the players and have hopes for more positive updates in the future. I do love the game and am critical because I want it to vastly improve.
Cabot500
MAAN Manager
MAAN Manager

Postby NealyPlum » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:06 am

Cabot500 wrote:They are making it even easier to get gear with more options to buy, the return of 3 of coins, and guaranteed unique exotic from Xur. We will be at the state we are currently in even faster after this next DLC. The masterworks sounds good at first but if it's only for stats like reload, RPM, stability etc. and not perks it's still not addressing the grind for god roll weapons we had in D1. Endgame issues and incentives still aren't being discussed as there are no talks of strike specific loot, random perks, vault space for collectors, raid specific weapon/armor benefits, improved armor mod options for builds, and so forth.

The XP for bright engrams fiasco wasn't fixed (doubled the cost to earn them) and although they are increasing strike rewards (likely more tokens), they are also increasing costs for gunsmith and destination faction packages. Why? We don't want tokens we want cool gear to chase.

Why can't they add chests back in to strikes even if they cost 25 or 50 tokens to open and have some unique rewards to add to replay value? What about giving Iron Banner, Trials and Raid perks to gear? Those are things Bungie already knows how to do but have omitted here.

Despite my thoughts above, I'm glad to see something finally communicated to the players and have hopes for more positive updates in the future. I do love the game and am critical because I want it to vastly improve.

I was hoping you would throw your comments out here Cabbot, you are one of the big players in our clan.
My views are similar with a few twists, focused heavily on PvP.
The masterforce perks will combat strong metas, so I am in favor of the perks being geared towards how the guns physically perform. Right now there are no "need to have" perks besides HCR, which likely this will bring that back to some alignment. Firefly, shield penetration, hell even triple tap is totally useless in the PvP end game.

Strike specific loot only matters in a strong meta. The Messenger and the Grasp of Malok were probably the most "have to grind for" weapons, and they had perks that masterforce will likely have. They look cool, but until we have weapons that feel like a fatebringer, its just wasted vaultspace.

Storage space, yeah... I'm on the fence. If every weapon is a reskin of another weapon, why save them all? I have 1 of each archetype and have room to spare. Not a lot, but I have room. I think it goes back to having that armor collection vendor, that once you earn something you can buy it back.

I dunno, my forum Hazmat suit is pretty durable, so I try to be careful when I post grievances. They listed a lot of changes but not ones that fix my PvP endgame experience.
Where is stronger enforcement of connection manipulation?
Why isn't there 30 interns investigating the top X number of players? Not hard lol
3 of coins is stupid, just fix the endless dupes. No coin needed.
Ranked play is good, in theory, but how it would be executed is my concern. I'd love to have the option of running with carries when I want, and running with a full sweat team other times and grinding the ranks. But what about loot pools, rep, ornaments, etc? What's the benefit? Does the clan get rewards from ranked? What about player populations and if half are playing ranked, what does that do to matchmaking times? Seems like a train wreck waiting to happen.

Could go on and on of course, I think a lot of the dedicated players could. What is definitely missing, no matter how I read the update, is they don't say they did anything wrong... They admit zero guilt throughout the entire release. They acknowledge, they understand, they say they "get it", but so far I see no proof of them "owning" it.

Final criticism, they want a game that "fits into your life". I'm sorry but I don't want that for the game, I really don't. If some guy can only play 1 hour a week, that guy should likely have less than someone with more time invested. If I invest more of my time and effort into something, I feel I should be able to get more out of it. I'm cool with clan rewards and all... But I should not have all the raid weapons lol.

We'll see, evolutions to come and all. I'm pretty confident this game is not, and won't be , the game I get "addicted" to. And I won't be back to "full time" status until they address the connection issues.

TL:DR
Its a start, but the core issues (to me) are still present and weren't mentioned.
NealyPlum
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Postby Rigg44 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:30 pm

While I agree with Plum that more time should equal more or unique loot and also agree with Cabot that many things still need addressed, I think this is a half-step in the right direction. I like the masterworks weapons idea. I also like the ranked PVP. They also stated that the pvp sandbox adjustment on the way, although there will always be connection issues, its p2p, there is no fixing that. I am disappointed that three of coins is returning, this is a tone deaf decision on their part. There is no need to make loot more accessible in this game it practically reproduces in your vault as is now. In the end this was a presentation of what they already had planned and a promise for future fixes. They mismanaged the community and it burned them, we can only hope they learned from it.
Rigg44
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Postby Matt_K » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:08 pm

If they want this to be a collection game, they need to have a way to display it. Weapons and armor rooms on your ship would be awesome. Lift the idea straight out of Skyrim. Other players can click on your ship and see your "trophy room," a selection of weapons and armor you choose to display. 1. It would make the ship more useful. 2. Give players a chance to show off more than just the gear they are wearing. 3. Gear not in the trophy room would be "stored" in the classic book pages we've seen from Destiny 1 and 2, used for exotics and shaders and everything could be repurchased for shards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Matt_K
MAAN Manager
MAAN Manager

Postby BD-61 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:53 pm

MAAN, I am really torn on which way to go with this.....
On one hand I laugh at people that constantly criticize Bungie and the game as if they are entitled. You bought the game. If you don’t like it, stop playing and trade it for something you do. Bungie doesn’t owe you (or me) anything.
Additionally, I can appreciate why some of their decisions are made. This is, after all is said and done, a business. Is it more profitable to sell to the masses (the casual players) or to appease the squeaky wheel minority (the hardcore players)? From a business perspective it is an easy choice whether we like it or not.
From the gamer side, the big issue I have is trying to share PvP and PvE elements. For the most part, I’d bet that players fall into the either/or category rather than both. I understand why they want to do this (expand player base and keep them playing after PvE content is completed) but it forces decisions that affect the game and reduce enjoyment for both. Separate the two and let the chips fall where they may.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes, it rains. Think about it."
[ img ]
BD-61
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Postby NealyPlum » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:31 pm

Really, this thread does a good job identifying the problem with Destiny 2. Is it an RPG or is it an FPS? They are trying really hard for it to be all the things, but in that effort they lack the commitment to give either road significant depth. D1 I think they did a better job finding a halfway point between the genres. D2 it feels like they kept all the "safe" options to the two, but didn't have the guts to really finish them out. There are so many fractured groups of fans, and many want wildly different things. Luckily, we have a community where we get to focus on video games instead of real issues. :)
NealyPlum
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Postby NealyPlum » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:36 pm

BD-61 wrote:MAAN, I am really torn on which way to go with this.....
On one hand I laugh at people that constantly criticize Bungie and the game as if they are entitled. You bought the game.

If I ever make a video game, I will not have a direct line of communication to anyone on my team lol. I won't give the trolls and generally uneducated masses the benefit of being able to form a mob on my turf. Its like facebook, do you trust medical science? No, I trust LouAnne who dropped out of HS to tour with RadioHead as a roadie. She clearly knows what's best for our medical systems, because reasons. Lol
NealyPlum
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Postby Presti71 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:53 pm

Good stuff! You guys make some very good points!

Presti71
MilitaryMAAN
MilitaryMAAN

Postby zwdiesel » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:47 pm

It's a ten year game.
[ img ]
I bet you were a hot two year old!
zwdiesel
MAAN Manager
MAAN Manager

Postby Presti71 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:25 pm

So that means the game will finally be good in Year 10?! Right?! :)

Presti71
MilitaryMAAN
MilitaryMAAN

Postby NealyPlum » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:03 pm

Presti71 wrote:So that means the game will finally be good in Year 10?! Right?! :)

[ img ]
NealyPlum
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Postby Presti71 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:07 am

Hahahaha! Just kidding! I like the game!

Presti71
MilitaryMAAN
MilitaryMAAN

Postby neo1738 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:15 am

It's a good game but I agree there should be some benefit to putting in a bunch of time or doing prestige raids/nightfall's. It only makes sense. I think if you could allow the casual gamers a way to do some end game stuff like they have but not be the strongest just from rewards is the way it should be. I also think the casual gamers won't care because well, they're casual gamers as it is. Clan rewards should be somewhat limited as well. No reason to get all raid gear from that.
neo1738
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Postby BD-61 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:51 am

Spitballin’ some ideas to appease:
Split PvP and PvE.
Reward dedicated players by removing the level cap.
Get rid of current clan rewards. If I didn’t do the raid/Trials/etc I shouldn’t get their rewards.
Use a weapon mod system where you acquire a frame w/slots and add mods (such as grips for stability, scopes for range, etc) to it to fully customize your load out. Reward mods as loot.
Dynamic enemy generation in PvE to randomize the grind.
Just a start......

Last edited by BD-61 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes, it rains. Think about it."
[ img ]
BD-61
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Postby uhyeahsure » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:02 pm

The endgame activities should reward mods that provide specific perks for that kind of activity - PVE or PVP. They should be not quite OP and provide a clear advantage for a specific playstyle. That would be a small step for rewarding hard core players without totally upsetting the balance.

Ships should offer different kinds of stat cards via a transponder mod to be read during loading screens when you hold over a pointer. 3-5 keys stats depending on whether it's a rare, legendary, or exotic transponder. Corresponding cool and differing GUI. Give Amanda something to actually sell.

Where the hell are all the auras?!

There should be a special transmat mod that lets you pick your spawn in PVP, available only thru Trials, but it disables radar in-game for the first 15-30 seconds

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal
[ img ]
uhyeahsure
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Postby KryptosPhantom » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:44 am

My only real gripe, is you can only infuse "like" weapons into each other. I preferred D1 where any weapon could be infused into any other kind/type.
I do like BD's comment about the mod slots, that's cool.
MAAN Float: 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 - 2016

[ img ]
KryptosPhantom
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Postby NealyPlum » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:23 am

KryptosPhantom wrote:My only real gripe, is you can only infuse "like" weapons into each other. I preferred D1 where any weapon could be infused into any other kind/type.
I do like BD's comment about the mod slots, that's cool.

I dunno, everything in vanilla was so easy to get that at least it added a fraction of grind, you know? I think its a good medium of vanilla D1 with no infusion, and yr 3 D1 where you could infuse all the things into all the things.
DLC today, we'll have to see if the changes are enough to pull some people back in. I'm guessing it'll be about 3 weeks of higher population, completely based off nothing and no data :)
NealyPlum
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Postby KryptosPhantom » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:54 am

Yea, makes sense. Frustrating though when my highest level weapons are weapons types I don't like playing with. But I do see what you're saying.
MAAN Float: 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 - 2016

[ img ]
KryptosPhantom
MAAN Member
MAAN Member

Next

Return to Destiny Series